A daily snippet of a young British man and his life in Santa Cruz, California

It's hard being me

Thursday 13 November 2008

Don't believe me? Here's just a couple of examples from this week:

I sent an email with an attachment of a data plot I had made. When a reply came back with the image embedded in the email, I discovered (to my horror) that in the figure's title, I had spelt the word 'count' without an 'o'

I got a bike. I had broken it within a couple of hours by cycling up a steep hill, reaching the top, and changing gear without pedalling, snapping the chain in half

I went to a sandwich shop. There wasn't so much a queue as a pile of people obtaining sandwiches in random order. No-one seemed to be queuing, or ordering, just receiving. I thought that there must have been a rush of orders just before I walked in, and they wouldn't take any more orders - including mine - until they had cleared the backlog. No-one looked friendly enough to ask, and those who did were either on their mobile phones, or chatting with friends. I stood and waited and watched. As soon as people who came in after me started to receive sandwiches, I said to the man next to me "well, this is just ridiculous!" and I left the shop. Later I recounted my story to a colleague ... how was I to know they only took telephone orders?

At work I needed access to a secure ftp server, so made the necessary enquiries and got myself a username and password on the system. It didn't work. I tried again, several times, and no joy. I called an IT technician - we went through different possibilities - firewalls, admin permissions, different sftp software, command line sftp - you name it. The 2nd technician called a 3rd, and the afternoon rolled on. Eventually we realised that the only possible thing was that - yep, you guessed it - I had been typing my password incorrectly.

Ok I'm going now, I'll try not to break anything as I press 'publish'

3 comments:

MariaC said...

he he....the sanwich shop...ha ha.....i can just imagine you there!!!

serenderen said...

sounds like you've been having a slight count of a time!
x lucy