A daily snippet of a young British man and his life in Santa Cruz, California

Living in America

Sunday 19 October 2008

Remember the film 'Coming to America' with Eddy Murphy? So do I ("The royal penis is clean, your Highness."), and that is precisely why I've had the signature and eponymous theme tune in my head since Friday. Why? Because I have come to America, and I live in America.

Currently, I am eating pistachio ice cream, and i'm living in San Francisco in my sister's apartment on 4th street somewhere near here


View Larger Map

I arrived on Friday 17th, 3pm local time. Yesterday I reacquainted myself with this great city, and today we went to Marin County Park, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I took a dip in the sea here:


View Larger Map

Tomorrow, I'm visiting Santa Cruz for the first time. I need to touch base with the admin people at the university, and I have a couple of houses to look at. I'm getting the caltrain to san jose, then the bus down Highway 17 to santa cruz. The whole 70-mile journey will cost me less than $6 - public transport is so cheap here - the bus to marin cost $1.50 RETURN (the round trip is 3 hours - for 80 pence!!!)

I cannot wait, but wait I must, I must say ...

... more news soon

0 comments: